Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Notice and Wonder

If you follow our classroom on Twitter you may have noticed that I interact sometimes with a lot of people who post about teaching Math.  Math was not my first love.  I’ve always been more of a Literacy guy.  But seeing all of the amazing work that my virtual colleagues of the (ahem) Math Twitter Blogosphere has given me inspiration and a lot of ideas.  One of the key techniques I’ve garnered  is called “Notice and Wonder.”  It is nothing too sophisticated; in fact it is quite simple.  You present an interesting mathematical picture or graphic and ask students what they notice and wonder.  What happens can be a slow burn but is always kind of magical.  Slowly students start to perk up.  They will ask questions and share startling mathematical realizations and connections that I would never think to show them.  
This process feeds a student’s independent stance toward learning.  It gives them ownership of the learning and challenges them to find their own way into understanding a situation.  At this point in our time together this is my main goal for students.
In the coming weeks, I will be sending home interesting images that pertain to mathematical ideas and simply ask students to notice and wonder.  I hope you will join them in adding your observations and questions.


HOMEWORK THIS WEEK:   Due Friday 2/19

  • READING: Daily reading and one Reading Journal Response.
  • MATH: Practice pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment