Monday, November 30, 2015

Reading, Reflecting, Responding


Dear Families,  

Last week I wrote about students getting things done and fostering independence.  This weekend I finally had some time to really hunker down with the writing our students have been doing.  I was trying to walk my talk, but it is really just astounding how much you learn about students when you have time to read, reflect and respond to their work.

After reading their memoir drafts, I see our class with whole new eyes.  I am newly up to date on where they are on their journey as writers - how they express their thoughts, how they prioritize information, how they try to reach their readers.  Maybe more importantly, though, I also feel like I just know them better. I learned about mysterious disappearances, sibling conflicts, amazing discoveries and scary occurrences.  Who knew our class had lead such fascinating lives?  

This week, as we continue to develop our memoirs, I would love it if you took some time with your student to tell a few stories from your life.  Also, what are some funny or touching stories about them that they might not know about?  We are always looking for more ideas to add to our memoirs.  

HOMEWORK THIS WEEK:   Due Friday 12/4
  • MATH: Math practice sheets!
  • READING: Daily reading and one Reading Journal Response.

No comments:

Post a Comment