Monday, November 2, 2015

Reading Aloud

There are times when the importance of a certain basic thing reemerges.  For instance, reading aloud.

I have the harmonious situation of parenting a fifth grader and teaching third and fourth graders.  It makes it really easy to buy or check out books for my boy: "You want that novel? It can come live in my classroom library when you're done with it? Sure. Let's get it."

The lines between home life and school life can get a little blurry, but overall that is a good thing.  For instance: the power and the struggle of reading together with a child.  In the classroom it's easy.  I pick a great book, I read it out loud to the class, we talk about it, and enjoy it together.  One of my favorite things as a teacher is when I look up from a read aloud and the whole class is quietly staring into space, completely wrapped up in a story. It happens with good nonfiction, too.

There is a lot of educational writing, theory and research about the importance of reading aloud to students.  And there is an even larger amount about the importance of families reading together.

But guilty secret, here - sometimes I dread it.  After a long day of working, meeting other people's needs, getting to and from work, etc., I really need a minute or two to myself.  There are some nights when my son asks me to read to him before bed that I really have to find a happy response.  I dig up the resolve from knowing there will soon be a day when he doesn't ask and I will miss it.

Speaking to many families over the course of my career, I know this is true for many of you, as well.  But I want to challenge you in the coming weeks to make that time, if you can.  A few years ago my family tried the TV Turn-off challenge for a week and it was astonishing.  I finished two serious books and started a third. Louis plowed through a pile from the library.

We have been working in class on reading to someone else as part of our daily reading routine.  It's kind of my new favorite part of the day.  There is so much subtle learning happening.  Everyday I see students coaching their peers, too, in ways that help me design lessons. Partner reading spreads a passion for certain books and new genres and builds new friendships.  Students discover new things about each other and themselves. If you can, make some more time to read together this week!

Homework, due: 11/6

Reading Response
Math Practice and Challenge
Read together!

No comments:

Post a Comment