Monday, March 9, 2015

Your news for the week of 3/9


Spring has sprung a little early and the class was excited about the "snowing" cherry blossoms just out our window.  They are also excited about pretty much everything.  This is an energetic room of learners.

We have been working on some quick poems in anticipation of National Poetry Month in April.  The first one was the "I look like a girl" poem, based on the book of the same title by Sheila Hamanaka.  Now we are working on a slightly (okay, much) sillier poem.  Here is an excerpt.



I Know Someoneby Michael Rosen
I know someone who can take a mouthful of custard and blow it down their nose.
I know someone who can make their ears wiggle.I know someone who can shake their cheeks so it sounds like ducks quacking.
I know someone who canthrow peanuts in the air and catch themin their mouth.....and that someone is                                       ME.


A silly poem for sure.  The kids love it and are coming up with great versions of it.  What makes it successful for everyone is the simple repeating structure.  There is a sentence stem that they use to keep them going, slotting in details from their lives. They love the twist at the end, too. Today we looked at ways to add some serious ideas to their poems to give some depth.   Look for some student poems soon.

I will be out for the next two days at a teacher training.  I will miss the class but look forward to the opportunity to learn alongside my colleagues.  This also means that we have to cancel the second Ping Pong Paddle Party tomorrow.  We will reschedule soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment